T-R-Y-I-N-G to get back on the healthier eating horse…very apropos that I’m bringing along apples and oats. Summer vacay and back-to-school hysteria have pushed my muffin top to the brink of 2nd trimester pregnancy confusion. Baby or booze bloat? The later with everything sweet, spicy, fried and unholy thrown in. This Apple Cranberry Muesli is a light, fresh and filling. Packed with protein and fiber, keeps you “keeping on” through to late lunch. The apples and cranberries add a delicious autumn touch, but really you can adjust this easy recipe to factor in fresh fruit from all seasons. I love to sit down on my Ikea chair at my Ikea breakfast table and ladle in cold and creamy heaps of this Swedish breakfast gem into my Ikea bowls…all the while licking my Ikea spoon and heartily shouting “God Morgan!” to the husband and kids as I peruse, you guessed it, the Ikea catalogue. Swedes man, they bring good stuff: Alex Skarsgard, Abba, Stockholm Syndrome (works into my parenting style), sensibly priced furniture and home goods…AND this simple and delicious Muesli.
Apple Cranberry Muesli
- 1 1/4 cup of quick cooking rolled oats
- 2/3 cup of 1% milk (or whatever you have stocked in fridge)
- 2/3 cup of low fat vanilla yogurt (I like to use a Greek brand like Chobani)
- 2 fresh medium oranges squeezed and juiced
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 heaping tablespoons of honey
- 3 apples chopped and diced
- 2 handfuls of dried cranberries
Add first 7 ingredients in a large bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Mix in chopped apples and dried cranberries. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Top with a little drizzled honey in individual serving bowls.